Bake a Cake with no Worries
Probably the most common question asked on this site is... How To bake a cake? Now that varies depending
on what sort of cake you would like to make.
There are basic ingredients to most cakes to bake you need: flour, sugar and eggs come up in most recipes.
The most popular kinds of cakes (chocolate, pound and spice) are detailed below.
How to bake a cake: Chocolate
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
1. To bake a cake it is important to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Flour or spray the bottom of two 9-inch baking pans.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the following: sugar, flour cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla then beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in water.
The batter will be thin. Pour it into the pans.
4. Bake 30-45 minutes (ovens vary) until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the
pans for about 15 minutes before placing the cakes onto wire racks to finish cooling. Apply your favorite
frosting and serve.
How to bake a cake: Pound
1.Do NOT preheat oven. You can pre-butter (or flour) the bottom of a 10-inch tube or bundt pan.
2.In a small bowl, mix salt and flour.
3.With an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the butter and sugar about 7 minutes or
until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
4.Add in eggs one by one, beating well after each egg. Follow with the vanilla.
5.Turn the mixer speed to low and add half the flour, the cream, then the rest of the flour. Mix well.
6.Beat on medium speed until the batter is creamy.
7.Pour batter into pan and tap the side a few times to eliminate bubbles.
8.Place pan in oven and turn the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for about an hour and a half or
until a toothpick comes out clean.
9.Cool for half an hour before removing it from the pan. Turn the pan upside down to "dump" the cake onto
a wire rake to cool completely.
How to bake a cake: Spice
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Spray or flour a 9 inch pan.
2.In a small bowl mix together the following: flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and the spices.
3.In another bowl, mix the following: eggs, milk and vanilla.
4.Start the electric mixer on low speed but work up to medium when combining the butter with the dry ingredients.
The mixture will be chunky. Slowly add in the liquid mixture until smooth.
5.Add in the sugar until just mixed.
6.Pour into pan and bake for 30-50 minutes (ovens vary) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for about fifteen minutes in the pan before turning onto a wire rack to finish.
Return from bake a cake back to baking tips